Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thing #8

I stepped out of my comfort zone and left the world of Google and tried something new. Rather than setting up my RSS feeds through Google Reader, I used Bloglines. Bloglines is a easy way for me to get headlines on news or entertainment personalized just for me. It's just like opening the newspaper and having all the stories that interst me right there on the front page.

To me, RSS feeds are a lot like Google Alerts. Just like being alerted to the topics I set up through Google Alerts, the RSS feeds send me information and updates for the topics I selected. The Google Alerts are more convenient since it is sent to me through my email but I look forward to checking my Bloglines daily. Check out my Bloglines! A few of my favorites are The Budget Fashionista and B4 Photography.

RSS feeds can be used in the library setting for multiple purposes. After searching for blogs on book reviews, authors, and librarians and then determining the ones you want to stay updated with, you have a constant feed of information. Even when you aren't looking for the information, it comes and then waits for you to read it.

At the moment, I am currently checking my Bloglines about twice a day. I am amazed at all the updates. The blogs aren't only updated once a day, but all day! The bloggers are definitly busy and I find myself hoping there is an update.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I definitely want to know where to get the Fashionista RSS feed! That was great! And what woman doesn't need a twice a day update on what's IN! I don't want to be caught on Mr. Blackwell's list, like our dear friend Posh! (Her bad!)

mmw said...

OK - How cool is The Budget Fashionista?! I have already added that one to my reader too!