Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing #6


Fancy Nancy
Originally uploaded by Madelyn's Mom
After exploring the mashups and the 3rd party tools for a LENGTHY amount of time, I knew I needed to stop, reflect/blog about the tools, and then start back again if I wanted to. I really did get lost in the "play" and completely lose track of time when exploring the Flickr Color Pickr and the Spell with Flickr mashup. I'm not really sure what the purpose of the Color Pickr is; even though I love looking at the color-coordinated pictures. I loved Spell with Flickr! It was amazing to watch all the different images used to spell my name.

Having students create trading cards is one idea that could be used within the library program. When I was creating Fancy Nancy's trading card, I started thinking about how the second graders could have created trading cards instead of postcards for the national landmarks that they researched. The trading cards would be able to serve the same purpose as the postcards, by giving facts and information about the national landmark, but the trading cards would add technology to the product. Getting our students to work with technology is such as important skill and creating a trading card about something researched would be a fun way to end the unit.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Nicely done! That's a great idea about making high tech trading cards instead of postcards for the landmark units. And now that many of us have the carts of laptops, access to computers during research time just became lots easier!