Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing #20

I never really got caught up in the YouTube craze. Sure, I have seen clips, but only if they were sent to me by email. I can honestly say that I have never visited the site in search of something before this "thing" and I really don't see myself visiting on a regular basis. I can see the potential that YouTube could have in the library or the classroom BUT because of all the "R" rated material, it just isn't appropriate! Plus, it would be impossible to get past the filters. One thing that I wish YouTube would do was put a "rating" on the videos. Why not use the same ratings as the movies...G, PG, PG-13, and R. It would really help me out when trying to decide which videos to view or not to view!

I'm sure students are viewing all the videos at home (with parental guidance of course) but I could not believe some of the stuff I saw and heard! With that kind of "negativity"...I wouldn't even want to mention YouTube in the library. Creating and uploading videos would be an awesome product to the end of a research unit but I just don't see how it would be possible to use YouTube. Unless...you create videos with students, upload it to YouTube for them, and then let the students view it from home...this might work...

When I first starting looking around the millions of videos on YouTube, I started with serious searches of TAKS, book authors, and libraries. But then, I heard a familiar song in the background and thought I would give it a try. (The familiar song was the theme song to the preschool cartoon The Wonder Pets. Madelyn doesn't really watch the show, but she dances when the animals sing, and Paul and I laugh hysterically at some of the episodes!) So I did a search for The Wonder Pets and had lots of results. Some of the videos were clips of the show, others were of little girls singing the theme songs, and some took the "G" rated show and turned it "R." The video that I picked is clips of Ming Ming, my favowite wonder pet, singing his most favowite line! (Ming Ming can't say his R's!) I couldn't believe I found this and couldn't wait to share it with Paul...this is sewious!


3 comments:

mmw said...

That video is hilawious!

Ms. Mc.'s Message said...

I have to totally agree about the appropriatness of YouTube for childen. A rating system would be great but who would implement it consistently? You couldn't rely on the contributor to have the same moral center as you do. It would be nice if there was a kid friendly location within YouTube, where only G rated or "clean" video can be uploaded and then if something inappropriate makes it in it can be removed quickly. Perhaps one day there will be an educational YouTube.

abclibrarian said...

I agree with you about students having access to YouTube. I think that teachers may be able to use it successfully, though. One of our teachers found some clips of Martin Luther King, Jr. and his famous speeches. It will be easy to access and play during the lesson. As with many of these 2.0 tools, we will have to be cautious and creative in using them.