Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thing #7...continued

I have gotten completely lost in the world of Google! There are so many things offered, and to think I was only using it as a search engine. After looking at all the cool tools available, I decided to utilize Goggle Calendar, Goggle Alerts, and iGoogle. It might be a little much for me to keep up with, but for now, I'm willing to try.

Google Alerts is the tool that I am the most interested in. At the beginning, I couldn't think of anything to be alerted about but now that I picked a subject, I can think of a million others. I'm starting out with only one subject; hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a type of heart disease. My husband has this heart condition and we are always learning more about the advances in the "cures." Google Alerts is going to be a quick way to get all the up-to-date information about the disease.

Google Alerts could be used by librarians, teachers and students for all types of school related activities. Librarians could set up alerts for book releases, news about authors, and research topics updates. Teachers could use Google alerts for new information in their field of study or about topics they are currently teaching. Students could also use the alerts for their research projects or science fair projects for current, up-to-date information.

I have also created my own homepage with iGoogle. Any time I open Firefox using laptop, there it is. I love having it customized just for me; lots of music and entertainment! I tried to link to my homepage so you could check it out, but I can't get the link to work. I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I just recently started using the igoogle honmepage too. I love it. I have my most often visited bookmarks right in the middle of the page (easy to click). Google is taking over the world!