Monday, January 14, 2008

Thing #14

What is Library2.0? What does it mean to me? Well, before I start I want to state that I have barely been a librarian for 5 months...so I am still learning library1.0 and at the same time trying hard to learn library2.0!! :) WHEW, this is hard work!

After reading the many resources about library 2.0 and trying to decide whether it really exists or not, I came across Sarah Houghton’s definition of Library2.0. To Houghton, Library2.O simply means making your library more interactive, more collaborative, and more community/patron driven. If I think of that definition when thinking about Library2.0, then we are well on our way...I am well on my way to making a change in what a library looks like. Interactive, collaborative, social, sharing - all of those words describe "the 23 things", all of those words also describe Web2.0 or Library2.0. We are doing it and by doing it, it has to exist!

Since we started this activity, I have learned more about the 2.0 tools and
have embraced them rather than shy away from them. By learning "through
play" and getting excited about the possibilities, my mind is full of
ideas. I have already shared many of the tools with colleagues and plan
to start introducing a few to the students. Actually, I probably won't
be introducing anything to the students since they are so tech-savvy but rather letting them know how the tools can be used in the library.

1 comment:

CoolLibrarian said...

I agree that it's a lot to take in! But I think it's good that we are learning this now instead of later. . .