Wednesday, January 30, 2008

more #23

A little note about the video posted below...I found that creative commons explanation on my own. I didn't know it was one of our discovery resources until just a few minutes ago. So if you watch it, you'll probably be watching it for a second time.

I really do get it, but it seems hard to explain in a post...maybe if I was talking, it would be easier, but I'm going to try. "If copyright is a red light, then think of creative commons as a green light." That was one of the creative commons explanations that stuck out to me when viewing the "tutorials" and it helped me simplify this complicated "thing." You have to STOP when you come across a copyrighted work and have no "rights" to use it (except with fair use). With creative commons, you have permission to GO with what's there; edit it or add to it to meet your needs.

With creative commons, people are able to build upon things that already exist such as taking a song and editing it to fit a slide show or finding an image and adding it to your MySpace...and who can't use this when they are having a hard time being completely original!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

The "copyright" thing is always so difficult. With all the sharing going on it seems even harder but the Creative Commons does a great job of explaining.

Teresa said...

Wow! Almost over the finish line, girl! Just your reflections left to go! I'm so excited for you!